Pages

Wednesday 30 September 2015

Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka? Chapter 198

Chapter 198.
This is probably the hardest chapter to translate in this series. Or maybe it's just because of the skill name.


198 Underground ruins

I dig a hole, and push my way through deep in the underground.
A layer of the different feeling of material appears clearly so far there.
That can't be natural by all odds, and it was the man-made object.

There's no reaction at all even if I use the "Soil Magic".
While the "Soil Magic" is called the soil, the range that it affects is considerably wide.
Even if it's soil or metal, if it's a big solid body that has a shape, it has function on anything.
Alaba constructs the bridge instantly, and I can dig the hole smoothly is because of such a reason.

And, that "Soil Magic" was repelled by the wall at my feet.
In other words, it has resistance to magic.
I appraise the details of the wall with "Wisdom".

『Impossible to appraise』

Although it's not that I didn't expect it at all, I was not able to appraise the wall.
Because I know that it has resistance to magic, it's probably impossible to break it with magic.
Having said that, when it's said whether it can be destroyed with physical strength or not, I can do it, but when I do it, I don't know what will happen.

I decide to make full use of Detection and grasp the whole aspect of this underground facility reluctantly.
It was no use.
Although the Detection passes to some extent, it becomes dim in the hollow part, and the Detection can't be activated well.
It seems that there's a jammer.

This is slightly, no, considerably bad.
Although it's good if the jammer is from the wall, if some kind of magic is activated inside, this underground facility is alive.
That's a big problem.

Should I inform Gyurigyuri?
Even if I say so, I don't have the way to inform him.

I have no choice but to get in, huh?
I found a thing like the entrance of this facility with Detection.
I dig the hole along the wall, and advance to the entrance.

In the wall that broke off on the way, a square space of one side about 5 meters filled up with soil appears.
But then, the inside is filled up with soil.
I move the soil with magic.
And, the appearing door.

The door is made of heavy metal, and it seems to be the type that slides from the left to right to open.
There's no thing like a knob.
 Well, that's obvious.
It's clearly different thing from the civilization above.
It's a mechanical door that was clearly made to open automatically.
This square space might have been an elevator originally.

I put my hands on the door that's unbecoming in the fantasy world.
The door that's buried in the soil for a very long time didn't open automatically.
I reluctantly force it open manually.
Heavy.
Although it can be opened because of my status, this is too heavy.
But, such an impression becomes trivial immediately.

Ahead of the door that I broke open forcibly.
The emergency light that emits faint green light.
I'm shined by the light, and the inside of the underground facility appears faintly.
Well, I have the "Night Vision" though.

An unbelievable thing was put there.
A metal puppet of the height about two meters.
In a word, it was a robot.
In addition, it was made with considerably advanced technology.
That's aligned on both sides of the wall.

No no.
I did expect it, you know?
Although I did, what's with a robot in the fantasy world?
Moreover, this robot is a combat type no matter how I look at it. Thank you very much!

The worst one is these robots are still alive.
In the evidence, the robots begin to start together with a noisy siren.
Although a voice of something can also be heard with the siren, unfortunately, because it speaks in a different language from the one that I learned from the Queen's knowledge, I don't know the contents.
Well, at any rate, I think that it's the announcement that an intruder came, so intercept it.

Intruder, in other words, it's me.
I'm intercepted.
Damn it.

The robot stands up.
It was a four-legged robot.
There are four arms too.
Although two of that are reproduced from the human's arm, and the weapon like the sword combined with the gun is attached on the other two instead of the hands.
Is it the 2 guns 2 swords style?
The normal arm also grips a heavy large caliber gun.
Is it the 4 guns style?
There's no head, and a small muzzle is attached instead.
Is it the 5 guns style?

Approximately 100 robots of such world tearing outlook.
Approximately is because "Wisdom" doesn't activate well in this facility.
Somehow, the Detection jammer is not from the wall, but it seems to be the magic obstruction activated in this building.
Even if I try to activate magic, it doesn't go well as if the construction is being obstructed by something.

This is bad.
I'm in a pinch plainly.
As long as I'm here, I can't use the skills.
I can only rely on simple hand-to-hand combat.

Magic obstruction, that's according to the name, it obstructs the activation of magic.
In other words, magic can't be used.
And, in fact, most of the skills are magic.

The skill's identity is a simplified thing that assist so that the magic can be activated easily using the power of the system.
The power of the soul of the skill's owner forms as plain power.
Whether my thread or my poison, everything was the product by magic.

And, naturally, resistance is also included in it.
The "Physical Nullity" that I have.
This one always sets up a barrier on my body to the powerful physical attack.
In fact, I myself don't nullify the physical attack.
Furthermore, despite saying nullity, if I'm hit by the power that exceeds the barrier's defensive ability, I will receive damage normally.
If I'm hit seriously by an alien who was born in the super vegetable planet, I will break into small fragments.
[TL note: Dragon Ball reference. The super vegetable is basically Super Saiyan(as how Toriyama pick the name from vegetable/yasai) and the vegetable planet is Planet Vegeta]

The resistance is the magic that always deploys a defense barrier to the attack and the neutralizing function.
Because the magic is obstructed naturally by the magic obstruction, the present me is in an origin state without any resistances.

Furthermore, my status is also done by the magic called Enhanced Body and Cover Enhanced Destruction(被破壊強化 TL note: ???)
The offensive ability is only reinforced with hitting muscle strength by magic.
I only raise the muscle strength corresponding to it to move quickly.
Because I activate it in the body, the magic obstruction has a small influence.
It doesn't mean that it's not only small.

Regarding it, it's good if the defensive ability is inside the body, but the surface skin receives the magic obstruction directly.
In other words, one thin skin is almost the state without defense.
Although I can still endure it in the body, when the thin skin tears off, the defense of the place that torn off falls.
And so, if it's pierced, it will become a fatal wound sooner or later.
Something like gradually torn off from the skin, what's with that torture.

The army of 100 robots vs. I who's without skills and my status is weakening.
Ah, this is seriously bad.

68 comments:

  1. I love how we get an explanation of what skills actually are.
    Magic + computer program = skill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was this actually a sci-fi disguised as a fantasy the whole time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. its seems so...

      but then...couldn't kumoko hack the system?

      she already hacked another person soul after all...

      Delete
    2. Hack the system that is controlled by someone even stronger than the one who wreck her into piece ? No. better not make them mad. both Gyuri and D.

      Delete
    3. Well, the fact they're called Administrators and not Gods was suspicious from the start...

      Delete
    4. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    5. They have been called gods. It's just that administrator sounds more appropriate for this kind of setting.
      D = evil god = high ranked administrator = high god
      G = Dragon god = regular administrator = regular god

      Delete
    6. I highly suspect that it's a remnant of the previous "world", and it wasn't deleted/written over because it had the magic resistance, I think she could find some very very useful things down there!

      Delete
    7. Another novel by this author has a half human/demon + machine god combo that looks like a demi-human so anything is possible with this author. (That fantasy novel also has military robots with levels and stats too.)

      Delete
    8. That sounds very cool @Ethereal-Phoenix , I'd be glad if you could share it's name tho.

      Delete
    9. @Ethereal-Phoenix i would like to know the name of the novel your talking about

      Delete
  3. What a random twist...? Thanks for translating

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahaha, kumoko is never without stronger foes to fight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And now.... there's robots!!! XD *dies* Thanks so much for all your hard work!!! I love Kumo-chan!! I'm... also wondering at what point she's going to get a name? XD XD XD

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm surprised on the lack of Nai wa~ in this chapter

    ReplyDelete
  7. ....after-apocalypse world? The plot is thickening ~

    ReplyDelete
  8. the facility....
    now kumoko.... BUILD A GUNDAM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. THanks for the chapter!

    ReplyDelete
  10. In case anyone miss the days of the three fundamental explanation for skills and status.

    Here are the 4 main points
    1. skills are just elaborate magic

    2.Resistance is just different types of barriers constantly being activated

    3.And physical status is only instantaneous body strengthening. And the damage actually comes from being hit by magic not muscle.

    4. "Status" itself is just a quantification of how many times you are being enhanced

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The admins may not outright be the creators but they are gods.

      .. this whole theory of yours seems just a little bit..... Wrong

      Delete
    2. sci-fi and fantasy aren't intrinsically separate. Any time you sufficiently explain fantasy, it starts to become more like sci-fi. So...you know...ya don't have to throw away everything we knew before now and come up with an entirely sci-fi explanation.

      Delete
    3. For example look at Wow. The whole planet was basically created by sci-fi beings. Also the People in the world have technology almost equal and sometimes even better than our technology.

      Delete
  12. Hey everyone.

    Just want to clarify some things. It seems many of you think Kumoko-chan is actually Wakaba who was one of the dead in the student list.

    That's simply not possible. Wakaba was a super bishoujo, the beauty of the school, a popular girl. Kumoko was completely different. She was an antisocial otaku loner and she looked like Sadako from the "Ring" movie, lol. We still don't know what her real name was, but her schoolmates nicknamed her Real Horror Girl, Rihoko for short.

    Because we were never told Rihoko's real name, we have no idea what the list says about her. As for the four dead students, they are that cutie Wakaba, and then three boys: Kogure (an otaku crybaby), Hayashi (the ace of the table tennis club) and Sakurasaki (a bad guy, a delinquent, right-hand-man to Natsume). Either these four are really dead, or one of them is D who fakes to be dead in the list so that nobody will suspect the truth.

    And Kyouya, another boy, is said to be "missing" by sensei. Very mysterious. Sensei never said anything about Akiko the Vampire Princess, either. I really wish there was a chapter from Oka-sensei's POV where she shows us the complete student list, name by name, and then tells us the data about every one of them. If we had such exhaustive info, it would be easier to pinpoint who is Rihoko/Kumoko and who is D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    4. >Well wakaba is described as a silent untalkative unathletic person. silent cool beauty no one can make friends with because she was unapproachable and has an intimidating aura
      >Rihoko is described as a creepy horror girl

      It never outright state who is who

      I would bet my money on rihoko being vampire girl than anything else really. ( you know with the whole soul matching thing)

      And I ask someone else that reads the raw and he said that kumoko is a really dense person when it comes to herself

      Delete
    5. what is your basis for saying she is Rihoko?

      Delete
    6. in fact it's already confirmed who is kumoko. the answer is very simple. wait until the end of elf war.

      Delete
    7. Hey, and come to think of it, you know what? Nene's message was not a spoiler at all: everything in her post was just a summary of the information we already have. Whee! No spoilies! Isn't that cool? Isn't she cool? People who don't spoil things are really cool.

      On the other hand, you, Arnold, are a sick prick. You're like a guy with urinary incontinence: you have lost control of your bladder and can't stop pissing on everything, all the time, everywhere. We've told you so many times to shut the fuck up and stop spoiling, and yet you keep posting these little snickery comments, just to rub in everyone's face your savvy of future chapters, poisoning these threads with your irrepressible pissing. And the worst thing is that you mix your pet theories and speculations with your spoilers, trying to pass them as facts confirmed in chapters to come, when in actuality they are just your own brain farts.

      I really can't figure why the owner hasn't banned your sorry ass yet. But I rest assured that he will do it, sooner or later. And we'll all be glad as fuck when it finally happens.

      Delete
    8. Don't have arguments with Arnold, if you don't know spoilers from future chapters. Arnold's already been called out in the past about posting spoilers.

      Delete
    9. okay guys. let's do some compare.

      What Kumochan said about herself.
      - Bad at talking
      - Go home club and very bad atheletic.
      - True gamer
      - Lowest social position
      - Dozing off in Class
      Then.. let's see about Wakaba
      - Beautiful girl
      - Taciturn and Expressionless.
      - Bad atheletics
      Next. Rihoko
      - As the name said. she has gloomy aura
      - Dozing off in class

      Feel free to discuss..

      Delete
    10. Ah! Let me add one more thing...

      Ronanto: Beautiful!

      Delete
    11. Kumoko's Real name is .............
      Wait till Battle of Elf's Village (11), Shun will tel us.

      Delete
    12. You probably can't ban people from posting, I'm guessing.

      Delete
    13. Lettucekun, you forgot: Wakaba = school idol. As in: the one girl everyone in school is pining for. Even if she was a person of few words (taciturn), there's no way she wasn't used to boys talking to her and calling her a beauty.

      Delete
    14. @arnold, you should really, really, really stop your spoilers. Everyone knows that you read the raws, so these kind of things will only be seen as spoilers. And, what's more, whatever you say actually is real. Just don't reveal any future spoilers here, and you are free to go to animesuki if you want to debate. Or not, just wait until I post the chapter, then just say whatever you want that's RELATED to the chapter. If you still want to post spoiler, don't make it obvious. Just say which chapter it will be, and it should be fine(I guess). Anyway, just refrain yourself.

      @Andres, I'm not sure whether I can ban people or not. Even if I can, I hope that I don't have to do it because it would just make the people who are banned to rage.

      Delete
    15. Well guess im not commenting for a while then.
      I mayhaps gone too far. Need to cool myself.


      ......just don't put me on spotlight tomorrow

      Delete
    16. I feel that the unknown person, who was telling arnold to stop with a bit more than needed language went a bit to far...
      Although I agree with his point, I think he could have said it a little less cruelly

      Delete
  13. I think Wakaba is D. B/c D. Has a girl voice and if you picture how D acts and how they discribed Wakaba's personality i think they link up....faking her own death is easy just put here name in the list then take it out

    ReplyDelete
  14. If any thing D had to create the world system because the sifi world did something tjey shouldnt have which jeopardized the life of every existence on that world except the admins

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kinda off topic, but does anyone else think the colour scheme of the spider on the logo should be changed to match the new and evolved kumoko? White with red eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kumoko was never brown to begin with—she was black.
      But here's my jab at a replacement spider. I actually re-traced the spider at a higher resolution, so yeah. In the process, I also made her fore-legs into blades, as described. Considered making a skull image on her back, but... eh.

      Regular: http://imgur.com/2xTaXZt

      And for added cuteness: http://imgur.com/ZkWQw8b

      Delete
    2. Lol. Man that wasn't what I was expecting when you said cuteness.
      But it looks good, so do we wanna change the logo? I don't know if the author reads all the comments, but how does he or she feel?

      Delete
    3. Whoops I meant translator not author.

      Delete
    4. But spoilers for new readers! I think it should be changed to a black spider at most.

      Delete
    5. I will change it if someone does it for me. Otherwise, I won't change it

      Delete
    6. Here's an imgur album, then:
      http://imgur.com/a/rfTco

      Just a variation on the spiders, with/without blood and such. The images are transparent, so you just have to save the images directly and use them (if you want)

      Delete
  16. If meatbun hit seriously by an alien who was born in the super vegetable planet, I will break into small fragments.
    lol Thank you for the chapter :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. thank you for is chapter now wait for Kumoko VS ROBOTCOP

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm not a skeleton

    ReplyDelete
  19. Kumoko is Wakaba my reason is that apparently according to the old man Kumoko human part is very beautiful, and this world beauty standard apparently the same as us.
    If that's the case there is no way she is Rihoko who is creepy, and more likely to be Wakaba. I bet Kumoko simply doesn't realize her very own popularity because she is too shy with human.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for the translation! I've enjoyed the story so far.

    ReplyDelete
  21. she stumbled into a Necron vault?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Does this basically mean that w/o magic, Kumo's body will self-destruct?

    Because it's impossible for a spider that big to exist w/o the support of magic.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I don't think Kumoko is the school's beauty Wakaba though I might be wrong. I still think she's Rihoko at this point.

    Rihoko and Kumoko were both sleeping in class at the day of the explosion. Also, Kumoko plays the game a lot, including the time she played with Shun that she'd often have sleep-deprivation, and someone doesn't usually be described as beautiful when they're in constant sleep-deprived state (eyebags, bad skin, and acne will happen) moreover since she often eat instant ramen (unhealthy foods).

    Rihoko is described as having dark aura, but it's never said exactly how she looks like.
    Kumoko's current human appearance is a mix with her own and Ariel's, plus she eats better and just generally living healthier than her life as human.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah you're wrong. Look at the fandom page if you don't care about spoilers (Specifically the Aliases of D, and Sophia Keren)

      Delete